St. Jude Children Research Hospital

Beside helping those dealing with cancer and their caregivers, I hope to help children dealing with cancer by having you hopefully donate to their care and future cures by donating to stjude.org

Sunday, December 4, 2011

My intention for this blog is to share my experiences in dealing with stage four cancer, in my case, colon cancer. For the last three years I have been battling the decease with some success and some failures. Through it all, I have gain insight to myself and others who have traveled hand in hand with me. At the end, I do not know if I will beat the cancer but I will give my best and keep positive not only for me but for all those that have shared their love for me and have given so much support throughout the ordeal.
Lets start with some background information. I was born in Santurce, Puerto Rico. I was raised mainly by my grandparents since mom was a single mom of four which in its own it was a difficult position to be in Puerto Rico at that time. She did her best to take care of us with family support. Dad left went I was four never to be seen again which included his side of the family. I grew up thinking that there was only one set of grandparents. Without dwelling too much into my childhood, we were brought up to be independent and self-reliance.

At the age of 10, my family moved to New Jersey or should I said "Jersey." The major change that came about the move was that I started to focus more on school as I adapted the a new "world" so different that the island and we were more alone so expected to be more self-reliance. I excelled at school and graduated eventually with honors from Dover HS in 1979.

Colleges years went too quick at University of Michigan. Due to financial hardship, I was unable to finish my degree and ended traveling the country for 2 years, a dream of my as I grew up (to see the other side of US). I returned to Jersey in 1985 after a hiking accident in Utah where I was living.

After I recovered, I took what I though was going to be a summer job at a group home for boys. All I can said that after 26 years, I am still working the home and love my work. For those that want to know more about St. Peter's where I work, go to their website: stpetersorphanage.org.

Currently, I have been married for over 20 years to a wonderful wife, Gloria, and have a great son 16 year old boy, Bryan. They have been so supportive throughout my struggle/battle with cancer. So, that's my background information. Next entry, I will start with what has happened the last 3 years with cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment